Wednesday 30 January 2013

Fish Bites and Salad..... win!!



Being completely honest... not all my meals are a success with the kids!! :) Continually trying new things can definitely have its down side when after 'slaving away in the kitchen' you serve it up and are met with 'I don't like it'!! You then follow with 'but you haven't even tried it'... blah blah blah... I'm sure we have all been there!!!...

Anyway... this one had a wonderful response!! In truth, I did call them 'fish nuggets'... :)

Fish Bites

500g of White Boneless Fish - I used Whiting
1/2 cup Brown Rice Flour (this is not 'grain free' but K can use it as she is ok with rice. Otherwise you could try something like 'potato flour')
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup Almond Meal
1 tsp dried Mixed Herbs (or any other type of seasoning)
Grapeseed oil

- Make sure you have the egg and almond meal in two separate bowls and two plates, one for the fish before cooked and after cooked
- Mix seasoning in with Almond Meal
- Cut fish into cubes
- Put the cubes into a ziplock sandwich bag with the flour and shake till they are coated, then follow with dipping into the egg, followed by rolling each cube in the seasoned almond meal
- Fry the crumbed fish cubes on a medium heat until slightly golden colour (3-4 mins)
** Probably better to undercook than overcook the fish**

I then made a really basic 'salad' to go with them:
- Cheese sticks
- Carrot sticks
- Cucumber sticks
- Capsicum sticks

I also gave them a slice of lemon to 'fancy' the meal up a bit... they are now in the bin!!

Overall though, I hope you had the same luck as me!

Enjoy!
Jess

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I made these using potato flour instead of the rice flour and with cod instead of whiting.... Awesome!! The potato flour gives it a thicker batter if you like that...!!!

    ReplyDelete