Tuesday 19 February 2013

Gluten free, Grain free... all the way!


It’s been a bit between blogs!
Klaudia continues to look great, but has spent the week with on and off stomach cramps, diarrhea type nappies and crying/ broken sleep.  This in fact had been going on for a few weeks previously, but just increasing with intensity.  My husband and I had been ‘um-ing and ah-ing’ about whether it was due to a virus, teething or was it still her diet? In truth, it could be any and all, but knowing and living through Klaudias previous history and in researching grain intolerances … we have decided to reevaluate her diet and go completely grain free – this means to not only remove rice from her diet as previously advised but also quinoa. Please note we will be following this decision up with her Doctor at the end of the week.
It wasn’t until I actually started to think about the things I had been giving her to eat, that I realised how much I had been relying on these last remaining grains. Especially as we have to provide her ‘special lunch’ for childcare. An example of this would include:
-          Brown rice puffs or quinoa puffs for breakfast
-          Rice or quinoa with a meat sauce, or roast meat and vegies/ salad for lunch and dinner
-          Rice cakes, crackers etc
 
I couldn’t believe how much I had been using the stuff!!
To not include Gluten, Wheat and Grains in your diet is such a ‘mind shift ‘!!!From when I was a small child to even now, mainstream health and diet advice refers to the ‘healthy diet pyramid’.

Food Pyramid
A Balanced Diet - The Pyramid Way

 This clearly shows you should have more of this than anything else…. To not include Gluten, Wheat and Grains in my children’s diet just simply feels like I’m doing something wrong …. But obviously for someone like Klaudia and for many others, you just don’t have a choice!
So now we know what NOT to do, the next step is to understand better what we CAN do and how!! Obviously our biggest concern is to ensure we provide the most balanced and nutritionally sound diet possible.
My plan tomorrow is to make an appointment with a Dietitian and go from there. I will keep you posted on how we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment