Friday 22 February 2013

Simple Tomato Sauce!!!



Whilst there appears to be a number of ‘pasta sauces’ that are Gluten free/ Grain free, Preservative free and Colouring free….. Until I start to feel more confident in my ability to ‘read ingredients labels’…. I feel safer just making my own….!!
 
Played around with a recipe and below is what I ended up with. I honestly thought that with one whole kilo of tomatoes I was going to end up with masses of stuff to freeze and use later… Unfortunately not the case!! I got one meal… However it was delicious!! J Will be heading back to markets on the weekend for heaps more tomatoes… Whilst fiddly, it’s a great feeling knowing its good!!
Tomato Sauce
1kg tomatoes
1/4 cup Grapeseed Oil
1 large red onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tablespoons lemon juice
Hand full of fresh basil
1 tablespoon natural honey (you may need to add more depending on the taste you are after)
 
Use a knife to cut a small cross at the bottom of each tomato (to make easy peeling). Put them in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Stand for 1 to 2 minutes or until the skins start to peel off. Drain. Peel and discard skin (I used an actual peeler). Remove cores. Finely chop tomatoes.
Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook until soft. Add tomatoes, lemon juice, basil and honey.
Bring sauce to the boil and then reduce heat to low. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally until almost all liquid has evaporated and sauce is thick….. Done.... unless your kids arn't overly impressed with lumps, you can then put it through the food processor as I did!
I actually used this to make my previously posted ‘Bolognese Sauce’…. Worked so well, kids ‘woofed’ it down before a video night… what more can I say J!!
 
This is the end result.... Before becoming 'Bolognese Sauce'!!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment